Chelsea ‘one of the world’s biggest clubs’, says new boss Alonso

New boss Xabi Alonso says Chelsea remain “one of the biggest clubs in world football” and that he feels “immense pride” at taking over Stamford Bridge.

Despite a disappointing, trophyless season, the prospect of not competing in Europe next term, and discontent among fans towards the owners, the club have still been able to attract a top manager.

The 44-year-old Spaniard will officially take over in July and has signed a four-year contract.

“From my conversations with the ownership group and sporting leadership, it is clear we share the same ambition,” Alonso added.

“We want to build a team capable of competing consistently at the highest level and fighting for trophies.

“There is great talent in the squad and huge potential at this football club and it will be my great honour to lead it.

“Now the focus is on hard work, building the right culture and winning trophies.”

Fulham’s Marco Silva was among those to have been considered by Chelsea, but Alonso was the first choice.

The former Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen boss, 44, succeeds Liam Rosenior, who was sacked last month.

Interim manager Calum McFarlane has been in temporary charge, overseeing Saturday’s 1-0 FA Cup final defeat against Manchester City at Wembley.

Alonso has been out of work since leaving Real Madrid in January after less than eight months in charge at the Bernabeu.

Prior to his spell in Spain, he enjoyed a stunning stint in Germany, leading Leverkusen to their first-ever Bundesliga title — secured without losing a single game—as well as the German Cup during the 2023-24 campaign.

WhatsApp

Get the latest direct to your phone – follow West London Sport’s WhatsApp channel

Follow






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *