Planning a visit to London? You’re in for a great time!
London is known worldwide because of its local culture, food, and amazing history. Did you know that it’s also famous because of its sports teams?
That’s right, many people call London “the capital of football.” Seven London clubs currently play in the Premier League, the highest level of the English league system in this sport.
If you’re visiting this beautiful city with your family, you can’t miss the events football has to offer. Here, we’ll cover everything you can do when visiting any football game as a family.
The best news is that you don’t even have to be a football fan to enjoy yourselves!
Why Is Going to a Football Match in London Fun?
Whether you’re going yourself or with someone else, there’s something almost magical about watching a football match. It even gets better if you get to watch it live at a stadium!
The energy from other people supporting their favorite team is contagious, and before you know it, you’ll be getting tears of joy while enjoying an unforgettable day with your family.
There are many stadiums in London you can visit on your family trip, including:
- The Etihad
- Old Trafford
- Tottenham Hotspurs
- Wembley Stadium
What Are the Seven Clubs That Play in the Premier League?
Let’s cover the seven football teams that play in the Premier League:
- Arsenal – Founded in 1886 and recognized for having the most prizes of all football Clubs in London. The team plays at Emirates Stadium.
- Chelsea F.C. – Founded in 1905 and recognized for being the only London Club to win the Champions League. The team plays at Stamford Bridge.
- Crystal Palace – Founded in 1905 and named after the Crystal Palace, which was built for the 1851 World Exhibition. The team plays at Selhurst Park Stadium.
- Brentford F.C. – Founded in 1889 and recognized for its older Griffin Park stadium, which had several unique pubs. The team currently plays at Brentford Community Stadium.
- Tottenham Hotspur – Founded in 1882 and known for being part of the top 6 in the Premier League. The team plays at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
- Fulham F.C. – Founded in 1879 and known for being the oldest London Club to play in the Premier League. They play at Craven Cottage Stadium.
- West Ham United – Founded in 1895 as “Thames Ironworks F.C.” and rebranded to “West Ham United” during the 1900s. It’s recognized for winning three FA Cup prizes. They play at London Stadium.
Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Family Trip
- Consider preparing for sudden weather changes. London can have an unpredictable climate, which could affect your family’s experience during the match.
- Plan your transportation.
- Even though you can take children to matches most of the time, keep in mind you’ll likely hear loud shouting and adult language.
- Some football Clubs have small entertainment areas for children where it’s much safer for them to be.
How Do You Buy Tickets for Football Matches?
You can buy tickets from official ticket offices and Club websites. Regarding the Premier League, though, you may have to get a membership to be able to apply for tickets at certain clubs.
Alternatively, you can use ticket search engines such as EventsCompare, which allows you to effortlessly search, find, and compare ticket prices from resellers.
Watching a football match in London with your family isn’t just about the game; it’s about spending quality time with your loved ones.
If you’re visiting London, we promise you won’t regret all the fun that comes with watching a sports match, regardless of whether you or your family knows the teams.