Dykes’ stoppage-time goal rescues point for QPR


​Lyndon Dykes’ stoppage-time goal rescued a point for QPR at Loftus Road.

Josh Ginnelly’s early goal looked like giving the Welsh side their first Championship win under boss Michael Duff.

Dykes, on as a substitute, equalised by getting in front of defender Ben Cabango ​to head home Ilias Chair’s left-wing cross.

Swansea ended the match with 10 men after Ollie Cooper was sent off in the final seconds after a foul on Dykes earned him​ a second yellow card.

Dykes’ goal spared Rangers a fourth consecutive defeat this season at home, where they have won just once since last October.

Summer signing Ginnelly, making his first league start for Swansea, netted after seven minutes.

He was helped by a mistake by keeper Asmir Begovic, who failed to hold Jamal Lowe’s low cross from the right, although the ball ricocheted off Ginnelly’s arm and into the net despite defender Osman Kakay’s attempt to prevent it crossing the line.

Swansea, beaten in their previous four matches and having lost four of their previous five in the league, defended well and always looked a threat on the counter-attack.

Rangers struggled to create clear-cut openings but striker Sinclair Armstrong missed a great chance to equalise midway through the first half.

An unchallenged Armstrong collected Andre Dozzell’s pass and, seemingly believing he was offside, turned and scooped a shot woefully high and wide before discovering he was being played onside by Swansea’s on-loan Chelsea youngster Bashir Humphreys.

Rangers made a determined start to the second half and the lively Paul Smyth did well on the right and crossed for Chair, who headed wide.

Dykes, fit again after a recent knee injury, was sent on by R’s boss Gareth Ainsworth on the hour mark as the hosts continued to search for an equaliser.

Swansea might have added a second had Jerry Yates connected properly with a scuffed shot which was easily gathered by Begovic.

Swans midfield Matt Grimes fired wide as the visitors again looked to hit Rangers with a sucker punch, and at the other end Chair missed the target with a similarly wayward effort from long range.

In the closing stages, Dykes poked a shot wide from near the edge of the penalty area and Chair saw a low strike deflected wide, but Ainsworth’s team were eventually rewarded for their persistence.

QPR (3-4-3): Begovic; Kakay, Cook, Fox; Smyth (Kolli 86), Field, Dozzell, Paal; Chair, Willock (Kelman 73), Armstrong (Dykes 61).
Subs not used: Walsh, Clarke-Salter, Larkeche, Adomah, Dixon-Bonner, Duke-McKenna.