QPR have hit out at Fifa and Uefa over the response to the alleged racist abuse of the club’s players during an Under-18 match in Spain almost three months ago.
West London Sport revealed last month that Rangers had made a fresh complaint to Fifa after an initial complaint seemingly got lost.
The governing body was contacted by QPR after the incident during a pre-season friendly against AD Nervion FC on 8 August, which was abandoned after coach Paul Furlong led his players off the pitch.
Rangers say they were informed by Uefa that the matter fell outside their jurisdiction and was an issue for Fifa.
Rangers say Fifa took seven weeks to confirm receipt of the club’s complaint and then passed the matter back to Uefa.
It was announced on Tuesday that Bulgaria will play two matches behind closed doors, one suspended for two years, as a result of racist abuse aimed by fans at England players earlier this month.
“Uefa have dealt with this one issue of blatant racism but both Fifa and Uefa seem to treat complaints about racism like a complaint about a broken seat in a stadium,” said QPR chief executive Lee Hoos said in a statement.
“I am left confused, frustrated and incredibly angry that more than 10 weeks after we lodged our complaint of racism, we are still awaiting a decision.
“Incredibly, despite the seriousness of this issue, it took seven weeks and the personal intervention of Greg Clarke – the chairman of the FA and vice-chairman of Fifa – to get a response from Fifa.
“Let’s not forget, the level of racism was so severe that it led to an Under-18s game being abandoned. Our players deserve better than that. PEOPLE deserve to be treated better than that.
“There were a substantial number of people within the game who warned me at the time that this issue would be swept under the carpet and I am appalled to see this appears to be the case.
“I am disgusted, embarrassed and dismayed to call them our governing bodies when they are incapable of governing.
“Football is a powerful medium for positive change and education. Its reputation needs to be safeguarded. Unfortunately, the people in Fifa and Uefa are just not up to that important task.”
A complaint was also submitted after the match to the Andalusia Football Federation, which has jurisdiction over clubs in southern Spain. They responded by informing Rangers that the incident was being investigated, but there has been no update since.
Hoos said: “The Andalusia Football Federation have allegedly been conducting an investigation which has been going on since September but that would seem to be nothing more than a sham.
“There have been repeated reports of racism in southern Spain and that is something that sporting clubs should be aware of before taking their teams there.”
QPR director of football Les Ferdinand added: “Yet again, Fifa and Uefa have failed to deal with this issue – and they haven’t just failed the players subjected to racist abuse, they have failed every BAME fan who wants to go and enjoy football.”