Barton scores as QPR wallop Wolves

Wolves 0 QPR 3

Joey Barton’s first goal for QPR set up a magnificent victory for their new-look side.

Rangers netted twice in the opening 10 minutes, with Shaun Wright-Phillips crossing for captain Barton to score at the far post before Alejandro Faurlin’s left-footed volley.

DJ Campbell, on as a substitute, sealed the win when he tapped in his first competitive goal for the club after being set up by Armand Traore.

An earlier power cut that affected much of the Black Country had led to fears the game could be postponed.

Wolves must be wishing it had been, as Rangers’ electric start helped them to a second league victory of the season and sparked fury among the frustrated home fans.

Rangers’ inability to score on Monday despite running rings around Newcastle could have been seen as an ominous sign, but they needed only eight minutes to find the net at Molineux.

Faurlin got his first Premier League goal

And two of their pre-deadline signings combined for the all-important opener, with the outstanding Wright-Phillips crossing from the right for Barton to scuff home from close range.

The goal had been coming as Rangers had dominated the early stages, with Shaun Derry being denied his first league goal since 2006 when his header was tipped away by Wayne Hennessy.

But keeper Hennessy was unable to deny Barton and two minutes later he was picking the ball out of his net again, this time after George Elokobi failed to clear his lines and Faurlin fired in from near the edge of the penalty area.

Karl Henry, who turned down a move to QPR to join Wolves five years ago, shot against the post but otherwise Rangers totally dominated the first half, passing and moving with impressive ease.

After no doubt hearing the full force of manager Mick McCarthy’s anger, Wolves predictably made a rousing start to the second period and Roger Johnson headed over the R’s bar.

But their eagerness to push forward meant Wolves were often wide open to Rangers’ slick counter-attacking, and the visitors might have had a penalty when Wright-Phillips appeared to be tugged back by defender Richard Stearman.

And Wright-Phillips was unlucky not to score his first goal for his new club when his venomous right-footed strike smashed against the post.

So it was no surprise when, with four minutes remaining, QPR helped themselves to a third goal.

Traore, whose rampages down the left bothered Wolves all afternoon, burst into the box and unselfishly squared the ball, giving Campbell the simple task of tapping into an unguarded net.