Fulham thrashed at home by Bristol City


Fulham 0 Bristol City 4

Fulham ended with 10 men as they suffered a second home defeat to Bristol City in three days – the visitors again demonstrating superior finishing to punish the Whites’ for their own wastefulness.

Kevin McDonald was given a straight red card 10 minutes from time by ref Peter Bankes for a two-footed lunge at City substitute Callum O’Dowda, but by then the game was up.

As in midweek, Fulham could hardly work out how they went in without a lead at the break. After falling behind in the 10th minute, they bossed proceedings.

But it all counted for nothing as they failed to cancel out the 10th-minute strike from their midweek tormentor Tammy Abraham – the on-loan striker from Chelsea who grabbed the injury time winner to settle Wednesday night’s EFL Cup tie between the sides.

And despite starting the second half equally promisingly, two goals in eight minutes from Luke Freeman and Bobby Reid ended Fulham hopes of getting back in the game.

More salt was rubbed into an increasingly raw wound when Aden Flint poked home a fourth goal for the visitors three minutes after McDonald’s early departure.

After Abraham had put city ahead – volleying in a cross from Jamie Paterson – the Whites looked full of promise.

Chris Martin nodded a Ryan Sessegnon cross just wide, and McDonald’s header from a Neeskens Kebano corner just cleared the bar.

There were also long-range efforts from Scott Parker and Kebano which troubled City’s defence, and the pattern continued at the start of the second half, with Kebano almost capitalising on some sloppy defending and Sone Aluko (pictured above) rattling the City crossbar from the edge of the area.

But rather than herald an inevitable equaliser, a horror show was about to unfold for Slavisa Jokanovic’s men.

Fulham: Button; Odoi, Madl (Jozabed 66), Sigurdsson, Sessegnon; Parker (Johansen h/t), McDonald; Aluko, Cairney, Kebano (Smith 66); Martin. Subs not used: Bettinelli, Malone, Ream, Piazon.