Struggling Fulham beaten by last-minute goal


Fulham 1 Bristol City 2

Fulham remain in trouble after Lee Tomlin’s 90th-minute free-kick condemned them to defeat to their fellow strugglers.

Ross McCormack had given the Whites the perfect start after just three minutes when he guided a lob over the goalkeeper from a wide angle.

But Bristol City emerged in the second half with more purpose and intent and equalised on 70 minutes when Marlon Pack drilled in from 20 yards.

And moments after Robins keeper Richard O’Donnell had denied McCormack, Tomlin curled in a superb set-piece to win it.

Fulham were much the better side in the first half, buoyed by a moment of inspiration from top scorer McCormack.

He was sent clear by Michael Madl’s ball and showed tremendous vision to guide the ball over O’Donnell and in at the far post.

He tried a similarly ambitious effort when he sent a free-kick from more than 30 yards just wide and Scott Parker and Tom Cairney both had shots from distance saved rather unconvincingly by O’Donnell as Fulham continued to play with confidence.

But City looked a different side when they brought on new signing Peter Odemwingie at half-time.

He set up Tomlin with one of his first touches, and the midfielder forced a good save from Andy Lonergan, while Ryan Fredericks did well to block Odemwingie’s shot.

Pack deservedly levelled with 20 minutes to play when he cut inside Parker and hit a shot which took a slight deflection on its way in.

Fulham pressed late on, with McCormack and fit-again substitute Cauley Woodrow having shots blocked in quick succession, but Madl’s foul proved costly as Tomlin expertly executed the free-kick.

The final whistle produced loud boos around Craven Cottage and Fulham players slumped to the ground, knowing they had let crucial points slip from their grasp.

Fulham: Lonergan; Madl, Burn, Amorebieta; Fredericks, Parker (O’Hara 78), Tunnicliffe, Cairney, Garbutt (Ream 76); McCormack, Dembele (Woodrow 85).
Subs not used: Bettinelli, Richards, Hyndman, Smith.