Boehly ‘to be replaced as Chelsea chairman in 2027’

Todd Boehly will be replaced as Chelsea chairman in 2027, the Mail reports.

An agreement between the club’s American co-owners means the chairmanship can be passed on every five years.

The Mail say the Blues hierarchy they intend to make the change.

Clearlake Capital, the private equity firm managed by fellow owners Behdad Eghbali and Jose Feliciano, have a 61.5% stake, while Boehly has an equal split of the remaining 38.5% with Hansjorg Wyss and Mark Walter.

According to the Mail, Eghbali or Feliciano could take over as chairman or install someone else of their choice.

There has been growing discontent among fans during a disappointing start to Boehly’s time at the helm.

Chelsea Supporters Trust recently set out “significant concerns” about the club’s future in a letter to Boehly and Eghbali.

Despite big spending on players since the new owners took over in 2022, Chelsea are 11th in the Premier League.

“The current mood amongst supporters is critically low and cannot be ignored,” CST’s letter said.

“The feeling that the club has become a ‘laughing stock’, both on and off the pitch, is growing.”

The CST letter also said the group wanted to highlight “serious concerns” and the “disconnection felt by supporters towards the majority of the team, the manager, the club ownership, and the board”.

“The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust regretfully believes that we are close to, if not already experiencing, a significant shift in supporter opinion that could result in irreversible toxicity, almost irrespective of results on the pitch,” it added.

“Supporters are saying that there currently seems a fast-growing lack of trust from much of the fanbase, especially matchgoers towards the board, partially due to severely limited communication.

“Many supporters have significant concerns about the short and long-term future of our football club.”