Chelsea have announced they have agreed a two-year loan deal with AC Milan for Fernando Torres.
The move will go through if Torres, 30, agrees personal terms with the Italian club, who are also keen to sign his Blues team-mate Marco Van Ginkel.
Earlier on Friday, Jose Mourinho remained coy over the possibility of Torres leaving, claiming he had not taken any steps to replace him.
With manager Mourinho keen to have at least three strikers in his squad, there has been speculation about who the Blues might bring in should Torres leave.
He is widely expected to make a signing if the Spaniard moves on.
But Mourinho said: “If that happens in the last hour of the market we are in trouble because in this moment we are doing nothing because we believe the market is closed for us.
“Our belief is that we like our squad and at this moment we are ready for the market to close and for us to start on 1st September with this squad minus one foreign player because that is compulsory.
“Because of the rules we have a decision to make with regard to one foreign player.”
Torres, who has scored 20 goals in 110 appearances for Chelsea, has been much maligned since his £50m move to Stamford Bridge from Liverpool in January 2011.
He has been unable to consistently produce his best form and his first-team prospects look bleak following the signings of Diego Costa and Didier Drogba.
“What we have clear as a club is that we need three strikers to face the season and he is one of them,” Mourinho said.
“If he wants to leave I believe it’s because he wants to try a new life and new club and probably a new league.
“If he wants to leave I believe it is to try to be happier than he was here in the last couple of years.”
There have been reports that Mourinho is looking to sign Loic Remy as a replacement for Torres.