Brentford boss Thomas Frank says he has high hopes for young striker Marcus Forss this season.
The 20-year-old Finn came on as a substitute against Birmingham on Saturday – his seventh first-team appearance since being signed last year.
Forss might get more opportunities in light of Brentford being unable to bring in another forward before Thursday’s transfer deadline.
“Marcus is a clear, out and out number nine and he has some of the best, if not the best, finishing skills in the squad,” Frank told West London Sport.
“We have big expectations for him and sometimes the younger players need that one game or three games in a row where things click and they can get some momentum.”
Brentford were keen to complete a pre-deadline signing following the departure of last season’s top scorer Neal Maupay to Brighton.
But they had offers for Charlton’s Lyle Taylor rejected and were unable to complete deals for Amiens striker Sama Ghoddos or Dutch youngster Halil Dervişoğlu.
And Frank insists Brentford can feel well pleased with their transfer business during a busy summer in which Maupay, Ezri Konsa and Daniel Bentley were sold and the likes of Pontus Jansson, Ethan Pinnock, Bryan Mbeumo, Mathias Jensen, Dru Yearwood and Joel Valencia were brought in.
Frank said: “I think the club did a fantastic job.
“Since January to now, the players we’ve sold and the players we got in – it’s undisclosed fees but I can tell you we are quite comfortably in the plus (financially) and we have a strong squad.”