Brentford end season with a draw

Brentford ended their season with a draw in a keenly contested game.

The Bees broke the deadlock after 12 minutes at Griffin Park when the Hull defence failed to deal with a cross from the right and the ball found its way to Sergi Canos, whose glancing header crept inside the far post.

But Hull’s goal in the 1-1 draw came almost on the stroke of half-time when Jarrod Bowen steered former Bee Jon Toral’s headed pass just inside the upright.

The visitors squandered a gilt-edged chance to take all three points after the break but Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson saw his well struck penalty saved by Bees keeper Luke Daniels.

A much changed Brentford side dominated the opening half in stifling heat and should have put the game out of sight long before the break.

Emiliano Marcondes toe poked wide with the goal at his mercy after just seven minutes before Canos made the breakthrough shortly after.

Alan Judge tested keeper David Marshall with a dipping swerving drive from 25 yards which the keeper did well to grab at the second attempt, in the 15th minute.

The visitors’ had to wait until midway through the half for their first attempt on goal, Wilson’s long range effort flying high and wide.

Lewis Macleod did likewise at the other end, forcing Marshall into a fingertip save beneath the bar just before the half hour.

And the young Scot was involved again minutes later when he raced onto a ball into the box and squared for Judge, whose rising drive found the side-netting from close range.

Hull’s equaliser came against the run of play, but Nigel Adkins’ side had done well to keep a foothold in the game and always looked a threat until the final third.

After the break Hull pressed higher up the pitch and forced the Bees into a series of unforced errors.

But Kamohelo Mokotjo should have put Brentford back in front minutes after the restart but skied Emiliano Marcondes’ drilled low cross over the bar when it looked easier to score.

Stand-in Brentford keeper Daniels gave the Tigers hope on 57 minutes when his sloppy pass went straight to Fraizer Campbell, who the keeper then hauled down in the box for a penalty – but there was no yellow card.

Marcondes fired a free-kick just wide before Mokotjo’s half volley at the far post was parried wide by Marshall as Brentford piled on the pressure.

Judge went close with a 30-yard thunderbolt and Marcondes headed a corner inches over as the season finale fizzled out – with Brentford’s inability to score coming back to haunt them.