Bees come from behind to win at Bristol City

Bristol City 2 Brentford 4

Marinus Dijkhuizen claimed his first win as Brentford boss as his side completed an incident-packed fightback against 10-man Bristol City.

The Bees fell behind twice, but after City had lost midfielder Luke Freeman to a red card, the Bees drew level and Andre Gray drilled home to give the visitors the lead for the first time just past the hour.

Philipp Hofmann made the game safe with a fourth on 71 minutes.

Brentford got off to the worst possible start, conceding after two minutes when Luke Ayling was allowed to charge through the heart of the defence before finding Jonathan Kodjia for a goal on his home debut.

The City striker gave David Button no chance with a shot low to his right for the first goal in the home side’s spanking new South Stand.

But the lead was short lived. On nine minutes, Touami Diagouraga burst over the halfway line and played in Gray for a shot at goal that former Bee Ben Hamer could only parry into the path of Alan Judge for a simple tap-in.

The home side restored their lead on 23 minutes when Aaron Wilbraham glanced home a Marlon Pack corner at the near post.

Yet the Bees were given a precious lifeline on 36 minutes when ref Keith Stroud sent off Freeman for a high challenge on Harlee Dean. The defender needed treatment, but swiftly returned to the field of play.

And it was all square by the interval when City defender Derrick Williams diverted a cross from Judge past Hamer, with Gray hovering behind him.

Brentford made their numerical advantage tell after the break when Grey turned in a low cross from Alan McCormack and soon after, Hofmann held off the challenge of a defender to turn and sweep a lot shot past Hamer’s left hand.

Brentford: Button; McCormack, Dean, Tarkowski (O’Connell 45), Bidwell; Diagouraga; Judge, Kerschbaumer (Vibe 62); Gray, Hofmann, Gogia. Subs not used: Bonham, Barbet, Udumaga, Clarke, Senior.

Follow West London Sport on Twitter
Find us on Facebook